Golden Globe winner Idris Elba confirms he'll be reprising his role in 'Thor 2'
'Luther' star will be back as Heimdall in the forthcoming superhero sequel
With nearly $450 million in worldwide box-office it's no wonder Marvel is moving fast on a sequel to "Thor", with in-demand TV helmer Alan Taylor ("Mad Men", "Boardwalk Empire", "Game of Thrones") filling the void left by Patty Jenkins in the director's chair and screenwriter Robert Rodat ("Saving Private Ryan") recently hired for scripting duties. Chris Hemsworth will be back as the title character, of course (it will be his third outing in the role after this summer's "The Avengers"), and now it appears that Idris Elba, who played Asgardian sentry Heimdall in the first film, will be returning for the second entry as well.
In addition to his win last night at the Golden Globes for his lead performance in the BBC crime series "Luther", Elba has been making some impressive headway in Hollywood as of late, bagging roles in this year's "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" in addition to Guillermo del Toro's sci-fi spectacular "Pacific Rim", which is slated for release on May 10, 2013. During the MTV interview he noted he would be returning to Toronto this morning to continue shooting on the latter film:
"I love it. Guillermo's a genius, and the film we're making is a huge film, bad monster movie and robots and me," he said.
"Thor 2" has been scheduled for release on November 15, 2013.
Are you excited for the sequel? Let us know in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'? Andrew Jenks: Where Guns Are as Common as Cell Phones Renee Graziano: Look Before You Love