Girls vs. 'Girls': HBO series draws ire of indie-rock frontman
Christopher Owens is irritated with the new Lena Dunham drama for using his band's name
"It's a bit sucky to be informed by a giant company like HBO that you don't matter enough culturally to not have your name taken away or used," Girls frontman Christopher Owens tweeted recently.
Owens is talking, of course, about "Girls", the buzzed-about TV brainchild of Apatow-approved indie darling Lena Dunham that premiered on the premium network earlier this week. Of course, when you name your band after half the human population you're kind of asking for this sort of thing.
"Do you think that TV show even thought twice before using our bands name for their show?" read another tweet. "I'll bet they were just like 'fuck it, fuck them'".
‘Girls’ just want to change the needle on a tired media record
Stop telling us we're fat
"I've got an idea, let's start a band called The Simpsons," continued Owens. And later: "I just would've expected the people behind that show to say, hey let's use a slightly different name since that band is using it already". And also: "Girls is obviously a word that cannot be owned by anyone, But a choice was made and anyone that really respected us wouldn't have used it". Furthermore: "I said, it's all good, I just believe it wouldn't have happened of [sic] we had a top 20 hit is all".
In the end, however, Owens appears to have been in a forgiving mood. Tweeted the singer a short time later: "Anyway, good luck to everyone, sincerely. It's all good, probably just skipped their mind, probably not even intentional at all".
Right, just keep telling yourself that.
Girls is slated to perform at Coachella next weekend. Their last album was the critically-acclaimed "Father, Son, Holy Ghost", which peaked at #37 on the Billboard 200.
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Girls performing "Love Is Like a River" on last night's episode of "Conan":
Lena Dunham, also on "Conan":
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
7 days ago
10 days ago
|Discuss Scripted Dramas on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever