Gemma Arterton and Jeremy Renner in hardcore 'Hansel & Gretel'
The kids are all grown up and bounty hunters
Brit Gemma Arterton's last dip into American moviegoing waters, the charming "Tamara Drewe," may have been a profound box office disappointment, but happily Hollywood isn't giving up on the "Clash of the Titans" star. At least not yet anyway. Twisting fairy tales and alternate histories seem to be the new "in" thing these days for studio development executives and Arterton is now set to star alongside Jeremy Renner in Paramount Pictures' "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters."
This "sequel" the the classic Brother's Grimm tale is set years after the traumatic events of the brother and sister's childhood. In fact, that scary encounter with a flesh-eating witch has transformed the duo into bounty hunters out for blood. Obviously, Renner and Arterton will play the now adult incarnations of Hansel and Gretel respectively.
According to Heat Vision, Arterton beat out Diane Kruger, Eva Green and Noomi Rapace for the role. She's expected to segue from the "Clash" sequel to "Gretel."
"Dead Snow's" Tommy Wirkola will direct the feature which is trying to schedule around Renner's commitments to "The Avengers" and "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol."
Production is expected to begin March 7 in Berlin.
News From Our Partners
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock