Friday Box Office: An extended 'Hangover' for moviegoers still at No. 1
'Taking of Pelham' debuts in 3rd with $8.2 million, 'Imagine That' massive bomb
After 10 days, the studio's $35 million comedy whose most recognizable star was probably former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson (who only appears in a cameo) has cumed a stunning $82 million. Even with the Denzel Washington/John Travolta triller "The Taking of Pelham 123" opening against it, "The Hangover" grossed another $10.4 million on Friday and is headed for a six figure cume by the end of the weekend. Already the surprise hit of the summer, $200 million is not out of the question for the Todd Phillips blockbuster. And yes, a sequel for "The Hangover" is already in development.
As for "Pelham," the thriller had a solid $8 million opening on Friday. The Tony Scott flick has received some positive reviews and could hit anywhere between $25-27 million for the weekend. Still, "Pelham's" debut wasn't big enough for the No. 2 slot. That went to Pixar's "Up."
Another critical and box office home run for Walt Disney Studios, the family friendly adventure racked up $8.8 million and should get a big bump with Saturday's matinees allowing it to possibly challenge "Hangover" for the weekend's pole position (the adult comedy made a comeback and squeaked by the animated flick last weekend when final results were tallied).
Not surprisingly, and showing his career is in need of some major fine tuning, Eddie Murphy's "Imagine That" became his second bomb in a row with a disastrous $1.8 million opening day. While well received as a safe family film, the picture did not seem special enough to compete in the summer against similar fare like "Up" and "Night at the Museum: Battle for the Smithsonian." Murphy has been rumored to be returning to the "Nutty Professor" franchise for a third go around, but it appears audiences are tiring of more of the same from the former superstar.
Look for final weekend box office estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards