French DJ and music producer DJ Mehdi dies in accident at age 34
Collaborated with Chromeo on 2007 song "I Am Somebody"
Internationally-known French DJ and music producer DJ Mehdi has died, according to confirmed reports. He was 34 years old.
The details of the accident, which occurred on Monday night, vary depending on source, with some reporting he fell from the roof of his Paris home and others claiming a mezzanine collapsed beneath him. At least two other unknown individuals were also injured in the accident.
DJ Mag claims Mehdi was hosting a birthday party for his friend and creative partner Riton, with whom he had recently launched a music project entitled "Carte Blanche".
Born Mehdi Faveris-Essadi in Hauts-de-Seine, France, DJ Mehdi began his career in France's underground hip hop scene, before collaborating with electro-house DJ Pedro Winter (a.k.a. Busy P) and later signing with his Ed Banger Records. Mehdi released his first full-length album, "The Story of Espion", in 2002, and a sophomore effort entitled "Lucky Boy" in 2006.
Medhi became known stateside for his 2007 single "I Am Somebody" featuring Chromeo, which was featured in an ad for XM Radio. He also gained prominence for remixing tracks by other artists including Miike Snow, Architecture in Helsinki and New Young Pony Club.
Several celebrity friends and acquaintances, including Drake, Chromeo, and Solange Knowles, have expressed their condolonces on Twitter since the news broke. In addition, Parisian night spot The Social Club announced they would be closing their doors tonight in honor of Mehdi, with the following status posted on the venue's Facebook page:
"Following the death of DJ Mehdi, we have made the exceptional decision of closing the club tonight. An evening of silence in honor of the artist. Thank you for not commenting on this status."
Below you can watch the music video for "I Am Somebody":
News From Our Partners
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When