Fox TV producers asked to trim budgets 2 percent
The move will effect shows including '24' and 'My Name Is Earl'
LOS ANGELES (AP) - News Corp. (NWS) (NWS)'s 20th Century Fox Television studio has asked producers of shows such as Fox's "24" and "My Name is Earl," produced for NBC, to trim their budgets this season by 2 percent, a spokesman said Wednesday.
The cuts will affect between 16 and 20 shows currently in production, but will probably not result in layoffs, said spokesman Chris Alexander.
"We don't anticipate that there will be any layoffs. Where the cuts will be made will be at the discretion of every show runner," he said. "Everyone understands that revenues are down and these steps are necessary to protect our business."
The move is part of a wider cost-cutting initiative at News Corp.'s Fox properties, from TV stations and the film studio to MySpace, as advertising revenue has fallen across all media. The company has been cutting travel and entertainment budgets and leaving vacant jobs unfilled.
The Walt Disney Co.'s ABC Studios made a similar 2 percent budget cut across its TV shows in November.
CBS Corp. (CBS) said Tuesday that it laid off a small number of executives and staff at its in-house programming arm, CBS Entertainment, and its production studio, CBS Paramount Network TV.
Earlier this month, General Electric Co. (GE)'s NBC Universal cut 500 positions, or 3 percent of its work force; and Viacom Inc. (VIAB), owner of the MTV and BET networks, laid off 850, a 7 percent reduction.
Copyright (2008) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll