New 'Ice Age', 'Charlie Brown' animated specials to air on FOX Thanksgiving Day
To be followed by a re-airing of last year's "Simpsons" holiday special
In a ploy to create a pair of new animated TV classics this season, FOX has announced they're premiering two never-before-aired specials on Thanksgiving - "Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas" and "Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown".
The first, a spin-off of Fox's massively-popular "Ice Age" franchise, sees Sid (John Leguizamo), Crash (Seann William Scott), Eddie (Josh Peck) and Peaches (Ciara Bravo) setting off for the North Pole to find Santa Claus after Manny (Ray Romano) convinces Sid he's been put on Santa's "naughty" list.
Hoping to get back on the jolly old elf's good side, Sid and his friends accidentally destroy Santa's Workshop instead - and must pull off a miracle to make sure all the toys are delivered in time for Christmas morning. Meanwhile, Manny and Ellie (Queen Latifah), worried about their daughter Peaches' safety, enlist Diego (Denis Leary) to help track her down.
"Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown" (which, oddly enough, is not holiday-themed) ranks as the 45th "Peanuts" TV special to be produced, this time focusing on Linus (Austin Lux) grappling with the decision of whether or not to get rid of his trusted blue security blanket leading up to a visit from his grandmother. On hand to help him come to grips with the difficult choice are friends Charlie Brown (Trenton Rogers), Lucy (Grace Rolek), and dog Snoopy.
It should be noted that "Happiness is a Warm Blanket" has been available on DVD since March, though this will be its first television airing. The special features an original score by Devo frontman Mark Mothersbaugh, whose previous credits as a prolific film and TV composer include "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", "Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist" and "Big Love".
"Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas" airs from 8-8:30 on Thanksgiving night, followed by "Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown" from 8:30-9:30. A repeat of last year's holiday-themed "Simpsons" episode "The Fight Before Christmas" will follow at 9:30.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain