FOX sets 'Bones,' 'Family Guy' crossover for May
Stewie Griffin will become the new Dancing Baby for Emily Deschanel on FOX's 'Bones'
Move aside, "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice." There's a cool new crossover in town.
FOX announced on Wednesday (March 25) that Stewie Griffin of "Family Guy" will make a guest appearance on the Thursday, May 7 episode of "Bones." That, of course, assumes that President Obama doesn't schedule a primetime address that week, forcing FOX to move "American Idol" to Thursday and preempt "Bones" once again.
[Spoilers to follow, obviously...]
In the episode, Emily Deschanel's Brennan decides that she wants to have a baby and, as if that weren't enough, she decides she wants Booth (David Boreanaz) to father said child. Well, if you've ever watched "Bones," you know that there the unspoken tensions between Booth and Bones and this new request only exacerbates matters.
Into this maelstrom enters Stewie (playing himself), who's able to break down the situation as only Stewie can. We guess it's been long enough since "Ally McBeal" and the evil Dancing Baby that FOX was ready for another animated representation of a female character's ticking biological clock.
FOX is taking the crossover so seriously that the network put out a press release complete with a statement from Stewie.
"Oh, have you seen it? Was I good? Because I heard they said I was amazing and they want me to replace Emily, but that’s just a rumor," the animated infant observes.
As unrealistic as Stewie's statement is, we're even more skeptical that David Boreanaz's observation -- "But between takes he literally vanished – nowhere to be seen. I guess it’s true that Brits and cartoons tend to be standoff-ish. Or maybe it was a method thing, I don’t know." -- came from anybody resembling David Boreanaz.
"Bones" creator Hart Hanson has always been a good sport in matters like these. Last season, if you'll recall, he built an episode around a murder including multiple former "American Idol" castmembers.
As a series, "Bones" has always been one of FOX's most underappreciated components, jumping around the schedule as required and delivering remarkably similar ratings. Currently airing on Thursdays, "Bones" has improved FOX's time period numbers by 43 percent in the key 18-49 demographic and by a whopping 74 percent in total viewers.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?