Fox Searchlight snaps up 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' and 'The Surrogate' at Sundance
Can the specialty division turn pair of pickups into awards contenders next Oscar season?
Fox Searchlight officially made a pair of acquisitions today at the Sundance Film Festival, picking up both "Beasts of the Southern Wild", a fantastical drama from first time director Benh Zeitlin that's being described as the biggest hit of the Park city fest so far, and "The Surrogate" helmed by Ben Lewin, who began working as a director over 30 years ago but may have just scored his big breakthrough.
The latter film stars John Hawkes ("Martha Marcy May Marlene") as Mark O'Brien, the late poet and journalist who was the subject of the Oscar-winning 1997 documentary "Breathing Lessons: The Life and Work of Mark O'Brien" directed by Jessica Yu. Lewin's film focuses on the determination of O'Brien, who was confined to an iron lung for much of his life after being stricken with polio as a child, to lose his virginity at the age of 38. It also stars William H. Macy and Helen Hunt.
Sundance: Wrapping up with Spike Lee, Stephen Frears and too many parties
Goodbye, Park City
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
“We're very happy to have found a home at Fox Searchlight for this film,” said Lewin in a statement. “We have worked hard to evoke the spirit of Mark O'Brien and his writing, and feel that the Searchlight team can help bring his unique and touching story to as wide of an audience as possible.”
"Beasts of the Southern Wild", meanwhile, centers on a six-year-old girl (Quvenzhané Wallis) living in a "forgotten" Louisiana bayou community with her ailing father (Dwight Henry) who goes on a search to find her lost mother after a fierce storm hits and wreaks havoc on her world. The film, which came out of the Sundance Institute's Feature Film Program, utilizes a heavy dose of magical realism in telling its story.
“We were looking for a partner who would unleash our film on the world with the same energy and ferocity with which we made it," said director Zeitlin. "Fox Searchlight came to the table with big hearts and fierce resolve, they're a perfect match for the project."
Searchlight acquired worldwide rights to "The Surrogate" and U.S. rights to "Beasts". Both films are scheduled for release sometime in 2012.
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! Do either of these films sound like something you'd be interested in seeing?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Film Festivals on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...