MPAA upholds R-rating for 'This Means War' starring Reese Witherspoon and Tom Hardy
Studio's bid to downgrade forthcoming action-comedy to a PG-13 proves unsuccessful
20th Century Fox has lost its bid to have "This Means War" downgraded to a less-restrictive PG-13 rating, with the MPAA Ratings Appeals Board today upholding the "R" (for "some sexual content") originally assigned to the forthcoming action/comedy. The decision will undoubtedly have a negative effect on the film's box-office, given that no one under the age of 17 will be admitted without an adult accompanying them. How much of an effect, of course, is another question entirely.
Starring Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, Tom Hardy and Chelsea Handler, "This Means War" centers on two CIA operatives (Pine and Hardy) who go to battle over a woman they've both fallen for (Witherspoon). Directed by McG ("Charlie's Angels", "We Are Marshall"), the film is slated for release on February 14th.
What are your thoughts on the MPAA's decision? Will the more restrictive rating have a significant impact on the film's commercial performance?
You can check out the film's official trailer below:
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll