FOX joins the 'Glee' club
New musical comedy from Ryan Murphy will premiere on FOX in 2009
Prepping for its usual spring influx of singing-obsessed viewers, FOX has ordered 13 episodes of the musical comedy series "Glee."
FOX would only say that "Glee" will premiere in 2009, though there had been rumors that the series could be ready to premiere as soon as this spring, possibly using "American Idol" as a launching pad.
"Glee" comes from Ryan Murphy, who earned cult adoration but low ratings for his last foray into high school comedy, The WB's "Popular." Murphy is currently better known for his quirky FX dramedy "Nip/Tuck."
Set in the competitive world of high school Glee Clubs (who knew?), "Glee" focuses on on the moribund McKinley High School Glee Club, formerly a national power, now fallen on hard times. Only one teacher, Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison of Broadway's "Hairspray") is willing to take on the challenge of bringing MHS' Glee Club back to prominence, but will he be able to do the trick with a gang of outcasts?
In addition to Morrison, the "Glee" cast includes an assortment of faces who may be more familiar to Broadway audiences than TV fans, including "Spring Awakening" veterans Lea Michele and Jenna Ushkowitz. The young cast also features Chris Colfer, Kevin McHale (no, not the Timberwolves coach and former Celtics great), Cory Monteith, Dianna Agron and Mark Salling.
Every episode of "Glee" will include musical numbers culled from hit songs of the past and present.
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley