'Fired Up,' 'Dollhouse' actors land ABC pilots
Eric Christian Olsen and Amy Acker cast in ABC pilots
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Olsen will topline the untitled comedy from Ricky Blitt ("The Winner"), playing a young man in his 30s having to split himself between a needy best friend and the woman of his dreams (and her teenage kids).
Olsen can currently be seen on the big screen in the cheerleading comedy "Fired Up!" His small screen credits include "The Loop" and an extended arc on "Brothers & Sisters" this season.
The trade also reports that Acker has been cast in "Happy Town," a mystery-drama from the folks behind "October Road." Acker ("Dollhouse") would play the wife of a small-town sheriff (Geoff Stults) investigating a murder.
Other credits for Acker include "Angel."
Also at ABC, newcomer Dakota Goyo has been cast in the network's untitled Daniel Cerone pilot. Based on Argentina's "Brothers & Detectives," the pilot focuses on a low-level private eye (Jimmy Wolk), whose 11-year-old brother (Goyo) is actually an Encyclopedia Brown-style crime-solving genius.
Also new to the Cerone pilot is Brad Henke as the detective's partner and best friend.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
Good for Amy Acker landing a TV...
"But wait!!!!" fans of a certain Joss Whedon-produced FOX drama are screaming, "Isn't Amy Acker at least a recurring actor on 'Dollhouse?'"
Well yes. She is. And Acker taking a job on an ABC pilot can either mean something or it can mean nothing and, either way, the Hollywood Reporter casting story offered no hints.
Two obvious possibilities:
1) Acker's Dr. Claire Saunders, already mentally and physically scarred, isn't long for this Earth. That isn't a spoiler, kids. I only know what happens in Episode Four and, as far as I know, Acker's character remains alive. After that? All bets are off.
2) Acker and the rest of the "Dollhouse" cast have seen the show's ratings and they're aware that even on a Friday night, 4.2 million viewers isn't cutting it. So they could just be hedging their bets. In such cases, most actors would have it in their contract that the existing show would be in first position, meaning that if "Dollhouse" gains momentum and FOX decides to bring it back, ABC would have to recast the role in "Happy Family." That would only be an issue, though, if both "Dollhouse" and "Happy Family" had schedule slots for next season and Acker's character survived on "Dollhouse."
Just don't read too much into it! Or at least not necessarily.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot