Universal considering back-to-back shooting schedule for next two 'Fast and Furious' sequels
Director Justin Lin expected to return
Inspired by the enormous success of "Fast Five", it's being reported that Universal is now considering a back-to-back shooting schedule for the next two "Fast and Furious" sequels. Director Justin Lin and screenwriter Chris Morgan, who collaborated on the last three entries, are expected to return for both movies (representing the sixth and seventh installments), which would be designed to share a single storyline.
As noted by LA Times' The Envelope, which broke the story, there are pluses and minuses to shooting two or more films in a series consecutively. While going that route ultimately saves on production costs and avoids the headache of trying to reconvene talent for another movie further down the line, it's also risky in that the studio has already invested a substantial amount of money in the seventh installment whether or not its predecessor proves successful at the box office.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Of course, Universal has good reason to feel confident. Last year's "Fast Five" was the biggest hit in the "Fast and Furious" series yet by a mile, grossing over $620 million worldwide - nearly twice as much 2009's "Fast and Furious", which had been the most commercially successful entry up to that point with over $360 million globally.
Of course, "Five" was also by far the most critically-acclaimed of the series to date, with a surprisingly strong 78% score on Rotten Tomatoes (the first film comes in a distant second on that scale with 52%). Those excellent reviews, in combination with a superb marketing campaign and a plum late-April release date against no real competition, helped turn the film into a bona fide blockbuster.
Universal has pegged a tentative May 24, 2013 release date for the sixth entry, though that could change depending on how smoothly the development process goes.
What do you think of this news? Are you excited for more "F&F" sequels or are you beginning to tire of the franchise? Sound off in the comments!
News From Our Partners
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title