Farrellys developing 'Dumb and Dumber' sequel for Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels
Brothers eyeing the film as their next directing project
Though it's been 17 years since the release of "Dumb and Dumber" (which was followed by one godawful prequel, "Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry met Lloyd"), it appears that a sequel to the 1994 comedy hit is now picking up steam, with writer/directors Peter and Bobby Farrelly looking to re-team stars Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels for the follow-up.
Writing team Sean Anders and John Morris ("Mr. Popper's Penguins", "Hot Tub Time Machine") have been hired to write the script for the film, which the Farrellys are eyeing as their next directing project, according to Deadline. The brothers recently wrapped "The Three Stooges" starring Sean Hayes, Will Sasso and Chris Diamantopoulos as the buffoonish trio. That film is slated for release on April 4, 2012.
The Farrellys could certainly use a big hit, and a "Dumb and Dumber" sequel with Carrey and Daniels (who could use a little career heat themselves) would seem a good way to accomplish that (provided fans of the original get on board). The writer/directors' last sizable Stateside success was with 2001's "Shallow Hal"; their subsequent films have performed far more modestly (if not disastrously).
While doing press for "Mr. Popper's Penguins" this summer Carrey hinted that a "Dumb and Dumber" sequel may happen, but this is the first real concrete news regarding the project.
The original "Dumb and Dumber" grossed nearly $250 million worldwide on a budget of $17 million.
What say you - hankering for more Harry and Lloyd? Sound off in the comments section!
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition