Elvis returning to big screens for his 75th birthday
'Elvis on Tour' heading to more than 460 theaters
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Elvis Presley is returning to the big screen again in the remastered film "Elvis on Tour: 75th Anniversary Celebration," which will be shown July 29 at more than 460 movie theaters around the country.
The movie will feature remastered footage of concert performances and interviews from the 1972 documentary "Elvis on Tour" — the singer's last film before he died in 1977.
The film's release commemorates the 75th anniversary of Elvis' birth and includes a retrospective from his former wife, Priscilla Presley, and a montage supervised by director Martin Scorsese. Some of the tour footage has never been released.
"I was thrilled when I heard fans will be gathering in theaters across America on July 29 for this Elvis experience," Priscilla Presley said in a statement. "Those of us who witnessed Elvis in concert know how incredible it was to see him performing live."
"Elvis on Tour" follows the singer on a 15-city U.S. tour in April 1972. Written and directed by Robert Abel and Pierre Adidge, it combines rehearsal and backstage footage along with concert performances of "Don't Be Cruel," ''Hound Dog," ''Suspicious Minds" and other hits.
It also includes Elvis' appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show and his first performance of "Burning Love."
The film will be shown again during Elvis Week in Memphis, the annual tribute remembering his contributions to music and American pop culture. This year's Elvis Week runs from Aug. 10-16.
The new "Elvis on Tour" also will be available as part of a box set featuring 17 of Elvis' films presented in Blu-ray and DVD formats. It's release is set for Aug. 3.
Copyright (2009) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)