Documentary filmmaker John Scheinfeld set to direct Elvis Presley biopic 'Fame & Fortune'
Prolific documentary filmmaker to helm 'Fame & Fortune'
Though rock legend Elvis Presley has been the subject of two major made-for-TV biopics previously (a 1979 version starring Kurt Russell and a 2005 miniseries starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers), RLF Victor Productions now has a big-screen treatment in the works, and they've tapped documentary filmmaker John Scheinfeld to direct.
Scheinfeld is perhaps best known as the director of the 2006 documentary "The U.S. vs. John Lennon", which premiered at that year's Venice Film Festival. The prolific filmmaker is no stranger to chronicling famous musicians, having previously directed docs on such subjects as Bette Midler, Andy Williams, and Ricky Nelson.
The film will be based on the 2007 best-seller "Elvis: Still Taking Care of Business", co-penned by Elvis' close friend and bodyguard Sonny West with biographer Marshall Terrill. The book was adapted for the screen by RLF Victor Productions president Cindy Friedlander, Michael Schlau, and West.
Along with his cousin "Red", Sonny West was counted as a member of the "Memphis Mafia", a popular nickname for Elvis' core group of friends and associates.
"John Scheinfeld is the premier director of popular culture bios on music icons," said Ricki Landers Friedlander, Chairman and CEO of RLF Victor Productions. "Elvis Presley and Sonny West's story, which requires great sensitivity and understanding, couldn't be in more capable hands."
Casting is scheduled to begin later this year for a planned 2012 release.
I'll be interested to see how this project shapes up, but in the meantime I'm not exactly bowled over by Scheinfeld's attachment. When it comes to biopics, a legend like Elvis demands a big-screen treatment worthy of his immense talent and influence, and Scheinfeld doesn't quite seem to fit the bill. I can only hope the producers will bring in a heavyweight screenwriter to do a pass on the script.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!