Elizabeth Olsen offered female lead in Spike Lee's 'Oldboy' remake
Josh Brolin already set to star as the film's main protagonist
Since receiving raves for her performance in the 2011 Sundance pic "Martha Marcy May Marlene", Elizabeth Olsen has become one of the most sought-after young actors in Hollywood - and now Spike Lee is eyeing the 23-year-old for the female lead in his forthcoming "Oldboy" remake, which previously secured Josh Brolin for the role of the central protagonist.
According to Twitch Film, which broke the story, Olsen was approached for the role after both Rooney Mara and Mia Wasikowska turned down the offer.
Olsen has been on a tear as of late, with roles in several recent high-profile festival movies including the Josh Radnor dramedy "Liberal Arts", Rodrigo Cortes' supernatural thriller "Red Lights" opposite Robert De Niro, Cillian Murphy and Sigourney Weaver (Sundance review), and Bruce Beresford's "Peace, Love & Misunderstanding" with Jane Fonda, Catherine Keener, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Chace Crawford.
In addition, she recently bagged the title role in "Therese Raquin", an adaptation of the 19th century novel/play by Emile Zola that also stars Glenn Close, as well as a part in the beat poet drama "Kill Your Darlings" opposite Daniel Radcliffe, Ben Foster and Michael C. Hall. She will next appear on-screen in the "single-take" horror film "Silent House", which premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival and is slated to theaters on March 9th.
The original Korean version of "Oldboy" (itself based on a Japanese manga) was directed by Park Chan-wook and starred Choi Min-sik as a man who sets out to get revenge on the person or persons responsible for kidnapping him and locking him away in solitary confinement for 15 years. The ultra-gory film won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival.
What do you think of Olsen's casting in the film? Do you think she'll make a good match for Josh Brolin? Let us know in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More