'Doctor Who' comes to BBC America
David Tennant's last four specials as Doctor will air on BBC America starting this summer
The deal ends a four-season "Doctor Who" run on Sci Fi Channel and reunites "Doctor Who" with its spinoff, BBC America's popular "Torchwood."
Up first will be "The Next Doctor," the franchise's 2008 Christmas Special, which starred David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan. It will air on Saturday, June 27, 2009.
In July, the first of the 2009 specials, "Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead," will premiere, featuring Tennant along with Michelle Ryan as Lady Christina. The second 2009 special, "Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars," plus the year's next two specials, will air later in 2009 and then in 2010. Those four 2009 specials will end Tennant's popular Doctor tenure.
"The outstanding quality of the 'Doctor Who' scripts from Russell T Davies and the on-screen dynamic that David Tennant brings to the role are a magic combination for our viewers," says BBC America President Garth Ancier. "Russell’s spin-off series 'Torchwood' is already our highest rated show on the channel and I know the fans will follow these new specials with equal passion and support. We’re thrilled to bring this iconic show to BBC America, home of the best British sci-fi programming on television."
Writer-producer Steven Moffat has already begun work on a new "Doctor Who" incarnation, featuring Matt Smith as the new Doctor.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike