'Dirty Dancing,' 'Ghost' star Patrick Swayze dies at 57
The 'Red Dawn' and 'The Beast' leading man had been fighting cancer
After a long battle with pancreatic cancer, Patrick Swayze has passed away at the age of 57.
The sad news was conveyed, as sad news so often is these days, by TMZ.
Swayze was first diagnosed with the cancer in January of 2008, but his fight didn't prevent him from starring in a full season of A&E's "The Beast," earning strong reviews for what turned out to be his final performance.
"We are saddened by the loss of one of our generation's greatest talents and a member of the A&E family," the cable network says in a statement. "Patrick's work on 'The Beast' was an inspiration to us all. He will be greatly missed and our thoughts are with his wife Lisa and his entire family during this difficult time."
A classically trained dancer, whose background included work with the Harkness Ballet School and the Joffrey Ballet School, Swayze briefly appeared on Broadway in "Grease" before transitioning to television and film, with increasingly prominent roles in "The Outsiders," "Red Dawn" and the miniseries smash "North and South."
Swayze moved onto Hollywood's A-list with Golden Globe-nominated turns in "Dirty Dancing," plus lead roles in "Point Break" and "Road House." He would later be nominated for a third Golden Globe for 1995's "To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar."
He was even named People's Sexiest Man Alive in 1991.
In addition to "The Beast," Swayze's recent credits included "Powder Blue," "Donnie Darko" and "Green Dragon."
Swayze had been married to wife Lisa Niemi since 1975.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline