Director Peter Berg says don't expect 'Hancock 2' anytime soon
Filmmaker has two films beforehand and the project has lots of 'cooks' in the kitchen
If there is anything Sony Pictures is keen on right now it's setting up a sequel to last year's blockbuster anti-superhero movie "Hancock." A screenplay is in the works and star Will Smith appears to have an open calendar in front of him, but director Peter Berg certainly doesn't.
Speaking yesterday while meeting with a few select members of the press to discuss his upcoming event flick "Battleship," Berg says he thinks "Hancock 2" will happen, just not anytime soon. Especially with the "Friday Night Lights" creator shooting "Battleship" next year for a 2011 release and then planning on immediately going into production on the more serious drama "Lone Survivor."
"There are so many cooks in that particular kitchen that are so busy and Will's kind of taken time off to be with his kids and his kids are now making all kinds of films and there are so many people involved in that from Will to his partner James Lassiter to Akiva [Goldsmith] to Michael Man and myself," Berg says. "To get us all in the same room where we can talk and then agree on anything? You'll never meet a group of people who will have a harder time agreeing on anything. It's like the Israeli peace process times a thousand in how tough it is for us all. But I think it will happen, we just all have to get in the same room with some consistency."
HitFix asked Berg if he could see a "Hancock" sequel occurring after shooting "Battleship" next year. It doesn't appear so with him on board as he reiterated that "Lone Survivor" is what he wants to do next.
Based on a true story, Berg says "Survivor" tells the tale of "17 seals that were killed in one gunfight in Afghanistan. One survived. It's a great story."
As for even further down the road, Berg isn't ruling out a sequel to his first hit, "The Rundown." He admitted he wasn't sure why there weren't plans to continue the adventure, but confirmed he'd be up for a second installment.
"I love 'The Rundown.' I don't know if the audience was quite ready to accept Dwayne [at the time]. We had a certain amount of resistance," Berg says. "They screwed around with our release date, but the film still performed well."
And is Mr. Johnson up for another?
"He'd love it," Berg volunteers. "We always joke 'When are we gonna do it?' But sometimes it's just a question of timing and getting all the stars to line up. There is no reason why we wouldn't ."
Look for much more on Berg's intriguing vision for "Battleship" later tonight on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing