'Safe House' star Denzel Washington headed for more action in '2 Guns' opposite Mark Wahlberg
Mob thriller to be helmed by 'Contraband' director Baltasar Kormakur
Denzel Washington just can't seem to get enough action these days. With the release of "Safe House" only days away, the prolific actor has now signed on to star in another action-thriller entitled "2 Guns", which already has Mark Wahlberg attached to play the other lead. Based on a graphic novel by Steven Grant, the crime film will center on a DEA agent and an undercover naval intelligence officer who begin unknowingly investigating each other as they both scheme to steal money from the Mob. No word yet on which actor will play which part.
The news was broken by Deadline.
"2 Guns" will reunite Wahlberg with filmmaker Baltasar Kormakur, who recently directed him in the #1 box-office hit "Contraband", which has so far grossed over $62 million domestically on a reported $25 million budget. The film will be distributed by Universal in the U.S.
Washington's last film to hit the big screen was "Unstoppable", the Tony Scott-directed runaway train thriller co-starring "Star Trek" actor Chris Pine. That film managed nearly $170 million worldwide, though in context of its bloated $100 million budget it suddenly doesn't sound quite so impressive. Nevertheless, outside of Liam Neeson it's hard to think of another actor in Washington's age range who continues to carve out a niche as a bona fide action star.
Did you enjoy "Contraband"? Looking forward to seeing Wahlberg and Washington square off on the big screen? Give us your thoughts in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews