'Definitive' family-authorized Bob Marley documentary slated for April release
Magnolia Pictures acquires rights to feature film about life of the reggae legend
Magnolia Pictures has announced their acquisition of the feature-length documentary "Marley", a new film that covers of the life of reggae legend Bob Marley through the use of rare footage and photos, video of his performances, interviews with those who knew him best and, of course, his songs.The indie distributor has slated an April 20th release for the film, both theatrically and through VOD and digital platforms. It will have its world premiere at this month's Berlin Film Festival and its North American premiere at the SXSW Film Festival in March.
Directed by Oscar-winning filmmaker Kevin Macdonald ("One Day in September", "The Last King of Scotland"), "Marley" is the first family-authorized documentary to be released about the singer, who died of cancer in 1981 at the age of 36.
The film was executive-produced by Marley's son Ziggy and Island Records founder Chris Blackwell.
In addition to the Magnolia deal, VH1 has snagged rights to the documentary's first TV airing as part of its "VH1 Rock Doc" series. The cable network will also team up with Magnolia and the filmmakers to promote the documentary's release.
“This documentary is the ultimate revelation of my father’s life,” said Ziggy Marley in a statement. “The family is proud to be able to have the world finally experience this emotional journey."
Marley is credited with popularizing reggae music along with his band The Wailers during their 1970s/early '80s heyday, with the group selling tens of millions of albums worldwide. Marley himself was awarded a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2001 Grammys.
What are your thoughts on the new documentary? Do you think it will present a fair and balanced view of Marley's life, or - given his family's involvement - will it stray too far into "hagiography" territory? Let us know your opinions in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When