Daytime Emmys return to CBS, depart for Las Vegas
Ratings for the telecast plummeted on The CW last year
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Daytime Emmy Awards are returning to an old network home but in a new city.
With viewership up for other awards shows, including the Grammys and the Academy Awards, CBS may be betting that the Las Vegas Hilton setting will energize the broadcast.
The Daytime Emmys - which had traditionally rotated among CBS, ABC and NBC - saw ratings dive last year on the CW network. The show's audience had eroded from nearly 22 million in 1993 to 5.4 million in 2008 but last year drew just 2.7 million viewers.
In comparison, the 2009 Primetime Emmy Awards attracted nearly 13.5 million viewers, an increase over 2008's audience of 12.4 million and reversal of a three-year downward trend.
CBS took note of the "loyal and passionate following" for daytime series in its announcement.
Networks, however, have seen interest dwindle for a one-time mainstay of daytime TV, soap operas, and CBS canceled the longtime series "As the World Turns" and "Guiding Light" last year.
The Daytime Emmys, which honor a variety of programs ranging from soaps to talk shows to game shows, is scheduled to air June 27.
The 37th annual ceremony is presented by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences in cooperation with the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
Nominations will be announced May 12.
Copyright (2010) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition