'Criminal Minds' spinoff inching forward for CBS
Backdoor pilot would air in the spring, likely focusing on a different FBI team
With a huge premieres for both "NCIS" and "NCIS: Los Angeles," as well as reliably strong launches for "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," "CSI: NY" and "CSI: Miami," it's no wonder that CBS is really getting serious about spinning off "Criminal Minds."
Michael Ausiello first mentioned the possible "Criminal Minds" spinoff last summer, suggesting that it would be a backdoor pilot airing out of an episode this spring. That obviously never materialized, but now CBS is pushing forward again.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Criminal Minds" showrunner Ed Bernero and series executive producer Chris Mundy will work on what is described as a "planted spinoff," built around a new team of FBI agents. The spinoff episode would air next spring and would be produced by ABC Studios, the Mark Gordon Co. and CBS Studios, the same companies behind the mothership.
CBS used the same backdoor pilot format on all of its currently existing spinoffs, as well as "NCIS," which launched out of "JAG."
The fifth season of "Criminal Minds" premiered last Wednesday and pulled in 15.8 million viewers, making it TV's eighth most-watched show for the week. "Criminal Minds" also averaged a 4.4 rating in the key 18-49 demographic.
News From Our Partners
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama