Chace Crawford cuts 'Footloose' but remake is still dancing
'Hustle & Flow' director Craig Brewer jumps on board
The development of Paramount Picture's "Footloose" remake is becoming a movie unto itself.
Originally set up as a full fledged musical reboot starring Zac Efron, the studio and director Kenny Ortega ("High School Musical") were unable to come up with a tone they could both agree on. Efron, who never seemed that into the project in the first place, dropped the film a few weeks before his comedy "17 Again" showed he was more than just a song and dance man at the box office. That found the similarly tween demo friendly Chace Crawford jumping on board to fill the role Kevin Bacon made famous in the 1984 classic. Even when Ortega left citing a need for rest after editing "MIchael Jackson's This Is It" things seemed pretty set when "Dancing with the Stars'" Julianne Hough was cast as Crawford's love interest. But not so fast.
Just when Paramount has a script they finally liked from "Hustle & Flow's" Craig Brewer, EW broke this afternoon that Crawford has dropped out of the project. Why, is still unclear. Now, the studio appears to be ready to move forward with an unknown playing the Bacon role and Hough still in the fold.
More intriguingly, Variety is now reporting that Brewer, who also helmed the eyebrow-raising "Black Snake Moan," has also agreed to direct his "Footloose" screenplay. This is somewhat surprising since Brewer was suppossedly locked into the action-comedy "Mother Trucker" for New Regency. Instead, Brewer is shifting gears and will bring an edgier and more realistic tone to what has returned to an almost purely dramatic remake.
Production on the new "Footlose" should begin sometime this summer.
News From Our Partners
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H