'Contagion' scribe Scott Z. Burns to pen 'Planet of the Apes' sequel
Writer joins Andy Serkis and director Rupert Wyatt for the follow-up
Scott Z. Burns is plotting the global domination of the primates.
The "Contagion" scribe has been hired to write the sequel to last year's hit reboot "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," joining original director Rupert Wyatt and returning star Andy Serkis for the project. He takes over for Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa, the writing team that penned the first movie and also reportedly wrote an earlier draft for the follow-up.
Though plot details are scarce for obvious reasons, the second installment will depict the continued ascent of the apes over their human counterparts.
The first film took in over $480 million worldwide on a $93 million budget and scored an Oscar nomination for Best Visual Effects.
Burns' previous credits also include Steven Soderbergh's "The Informant!" and "The Bourne Ultimatum," both of which starred Matt Damon. He's currently working with Soderbergh on his next directorial effort, "The Bitter Pill."
The Hollywood Reporter broke the story.
Are you glad Fox has brought Burns on board for the sequel, or would you rather the studio had stuck with the writing team that made the first movie such a success? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3