Coen Bros. exec-producing a new hour-long comedy series for Fox
Oscar-winning duo developing their first-ever small-screen project
Entitled "HarveKarbo", the quirky new show will center on a cantankerous Los Angeles-based P.I. as he investigates cases involving "Hollywood's depraved elite". The Coens will executive-produce, with co-creator Phil Johnston ("Cedar Rapids") penning the series, according to exclusive-getter Deadline.
This represents the first TV outing for the Coens, who had their biggest box-office success to date with last year's "True Grit" starring Jeff Bridges. The film was nominated for ten Academy Awards, including Picture, Director and Adapted Screenplay, though it lost in every category. The pair have won four Oscars in total - three for 2007's "No Country for Old Men" and one for "Fargo". They most recently penned the crime comedy "Gambit" starring Cameron Diaz, Alan Rickman and Colin Firth for director Michael Hoffman.
Some will find it curious that the show is being developed with Fox, given that the broadcast networks aren't normally as open to auteur-driven fare as their cable counterparts, though it's possible that the show could end up airing on Fox's sister network FX (where it might be a better fit). As usual with this kind of filmmaker-driven project, I'm thinking the Coens will likely helm at least the pilot episode (like Scorsese did with "Boardwalk Empire" on HBO).
News From Our Partners
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)