Chris Weitz admits 'New Moon' is the 'Empire Strikes Back' of the 'Twilight' saga
Watch: Director says vampire 'diamond effect' more difficult than CG wolves
Chris Weitz has had quite the eclectic Hollywood career.
The 40-year old first came to the public's attention when he collaborated with his brother to create the "American Pie" franchise, but he's also written screenplays for movies such as "Antz" and "Nutty Professor II: The Klumps"; directed Chris Rock's comedy "Down to Earth" and the fantasy epic ""The Golden Compass" (which was a massive international hit); and also produced flicks such as "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" and the upcoming Tom Ford drama "A Single Man." So, it's really not that surprising that the amiable Weitz would step in to helm the extremely challenging to adapt second installment of "The Twilight Saga," the highly-anticipated "New Moon."
Speaking to Weitz last week after a frenzied schedule of shooting and editing the filmmaker joked he's read for a month of sleep, but was also happy to discuss the "Twilight" follow up. We talked about the parallels with "The Empire Strikes Back" in how the film fits into Stephenie Meyer's series, how the diamond effect for the vampires was actually more difficult to nail down than the CG wolves and how he plans to dive into his Mexican heritage with a small-scale English-Spanish drama as his follow up.
You can watch the entire interview embedded on this page, but to see a larger version, click here.
"The Twilight Saga: New Moon" looks to dominate the box office when it opens this Friday. To access tickets ans showtimes, click here.
What did you think of Chris Weitz's comments on "New Moon"? Are you happy with what he's done following in Catherine Hardwicke's footsteps? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard