Charlie Sheen files $100 million lawsuit against Warner Bros., Chuck Lorre
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — Charlie Sheen brought his verbal war against Warner Bros. and the executive producer of "Two and a Half Men" to the courtroom on Thursday, filing a $100 million lawsuit seeking to recoup his salary and wages for the show's crew.
The breach of contract lawsuit alleges production was halted on the CBS sitcom to punish Sheen for recent behavior that has included two hospitalizations and, in recent weeks, a series of interviews where he has attacked executive producer Chuck Lorre.
The filing comes four days after Sheen was fired from "Two and a Half Men," leaving the top-rated sitcom's future in doubt.
Sheen's lawsuit alleges that Warner Bros. bowed to Lorre's desire to punish Sheen, and that the producer and studio conspired to blame the actor for causing production to stop.
The suit also was filed on behalf of the sitcom's crew, which was put out of work.
Warner Bros. declined to comment on the suit. Lorre's attorney, Howard Weitzman, did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.
On top of Sheen's $100 million request for damages, the 45-year-old actor is seeking punitive damages.
The complaint states that Sheen's most recent contract, executed last May, entitles him to be paid whether or not the series films for up to 24 episodes per season through late 2011.
Sheen's lawsuit states that he attempted to return to the series in mid-February, but was told that Lorre had not prepared production scripts for the season's remaining episodes, which was later shortened.
The lawsuit includes several references to Lorre's ego and claims the veteran television producer of shows such as "Roseanne" and "The Big Bang Theory" has trouble managing top-tier actors.
"This dispute is not the first time that Lorre has had problems working with major television stars, including Roseanne Barr, Cybill Shepherd, and Brett Butler," the complaint states.
Sheen's firing had followed a rare, raging public battle between a Hollywood star and those who employ him, with Sheen claiming the right to live as he pleased — including the acknowledged use of illegal drugs, although he's said he is currently clean — as long as he showed up sober and ready to work.
After he was cut from the sitcom, Sheen had texted his intention to sue, as he put it, "Big."
"Two and a Half Men," which debuted in 2003, stars Sheen as womanizing bachelor Charlie Harper, who creates an ad hoc family with his neurotic brother, the divorced Alan (Jon Cryer) and Alan's son, Jake (Angus T. Jones).
The show was co-created by veteran producer Lorre, who contributes two other comedies to the top-rated CBS lineup, "The Big Bang Theory" and "Mike & Molly." Like "Men," both are produced with Warner.
Warner and CBS had long faced a balancing act with Sheen through years of wild behavior, rehab and two ugly splits from wives No. 2 (Denise Richards) and No. 3 (Brooke Mueller Sheen). On one side was the wayward star, on the other was TV's most successful and highly lucrative sitcom, an enduring hit for CBS and a moneymaker in the hundreds of millions for Warner.
Last month, when Warner canceled the remaining eight episodes of what was intended to be a 24-episode season of "Men," it cited Sheen's public behavior and rants against Lorre.
In a series of interviews, including with ABC's "Good Morning America" and NBC's "Today" show, Sheen boasted about his "epic" partying, said he's fueled by "violent hatred" of his bosses and claimed to have kicked drugs at home in his "Sober Valley Lodge."
He glorified himself as a "rock star from Mars" with "fire breathing fists" and "Adonis DNA" and talked about his home life with two women he nicknamed his "goddesses."
The actor, who was among TV's highest-paid at a reported $1.8 million per episode for "Men," brashly said at one point that he would ask for $3 million if he signed a new contract for future seasons.
Copyright (2011) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.