Casting update: Freddie Prinze Jr., William Petersen, 'Vampire Diaries' star Matt Davis bag new TV roles
Joanna Kerns to star with Gellar's hubby in new NBC comedy from 'Community' scribe
Several new pilot castings were announced today, with the unlikely duo of '90s golden boy Freddie Prinze Jr. and "Growing Pains" mom Joanna Kerns joining a new comedy from "Community" writer Hilary Winston, former "CSI" star William Petersen set to play a hitman in a new drama that he'll also be executive-producing, and "Vampire Diaries" regular Matt Davis toplining the new CW mystery-drama "Cult".
- Former "24" regular Freddie Prinze Jr. is taking another stab at television with a new untitled NBC comedy from "Community" scribe Hilary Winston, according to TVLine. The show will focus on a woman named Agnes (Sarah Wright) who plots revenge on the ex-fiance who dumped her (Prinze) with the help of her female co-workers (played by Mena Suvari, Aubrey Dollar and Kyle Howard). Former "Growing Pains" mom Joanna Kerns was also announced as a cast addition today; she will play Agnes' mother.
Casting Update: Hayden Panettiere, Matthew Perry, Minnie Driver book pilot leads
Amy Smart, Leah Remini and Sara Rue also sign on for new shows
- William Petersen, who had a whopping nine-year run on the CBS procedural "CSI", is attached to star in and executive-produce a new drama series entitled "Hurt People" for production company GK-tv (the TV arm of Graham King's GK Films). Petersen will play Hollis Brown, a veteran hitman who is hired by the crime family responsible for his wife's murder. The job? Track down his estranged daughter - who is hell-bent on avenging her mother's death - and kill her. Wow.
Though the project isn't yet set up at a network, scoop-getter Deadline reports that due to the dark subject matter Petersen and company are looking at cable as well as new original-content players like Netflix as possible homes for the series. This would be Petersen's first regular-series role on television since leaving the hit CBS crime procedural in the middle of its ninth season.
- "Vampire Diaries" regular Matt Davis will be heading up CW's new mystery-drama pilot "Cult", opposite the previously-cast Jessica Lucas ("Melrose Place"). Davis will star as Jeff, a journalist who teams up with young TV production assistant Skye (Lucas) to investigate a string of recent disappearances (and a possible murder) that may or may not be re-creations of the crimes featured on the television series she works on.
According to Deadline, which broke the story, Davis will still be made available to guest-star on "Vampire Diaries" - in which he currently plays high school teacher/vampire hunter Alaric Saltzman - though he'll no longer be a series regular.
Do you have thoughts on any of the above casting announcements? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
5 months ago
8 months ago
|Discuss TV General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival