Which two actresses are battling it out for the title role in 'Carrie'?
Final candidates for the horror remake are nearly 10 years apart in age
Actresses Chloe Moretz ("Kick-Ass") and Haley Bennett ("Marley & Me", Terrence Malick's forthcoming "Lawless") are in the lead to take the title role in "Boys Don't Cry" director Kimberly Peirce's remake of "Carrie". The two young thesps have beaten out a slew of actresses including Lily Collins ("Mirror Mirror"), Dakota Fanning ("Twilight"), Bella Heathcote ("In Time", Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows") and Emily Browning ("Sucker Punch") to get to this point (though it should be noted that "The Descendants" star Shailene Woodley reportedly turned down an offer to be covered in pig's blood earlier this week).
'Boys Don't Cry' director Kimberly Pierce may direct new version of King's 'Carrie'
Can this story withstand another interpretation, and why try again?
What's interesting too is that both actresses have quite a different look than Sissy Spacek, who originated the role in Brian De Palma's 1976 version. Which also brings up another relevant point regarding the age issue: Spacek was nearly 27 years old when the original movie came out, and she quite convincingly played a high school student. In short, Bennett's age probably won't play a huge role in Peirce and co.'s decision.
In addition to the title role, story-breaker Vulture is also reporting that Peirce is interested in both Jodie Foster and Julianne Moore for the role of Carrie's religion-crazed mother, which was originated by Piper Laurie. Both Laurie and Spacek went on to be nominated for Academy Awards for their performances, for Best Supporting Actress and Best Actress, respectively.
"Carrie" has been remade once before - in a 2002 made-for-TV version starring Angela Bettis as the title character - though the reported idea with this version is to hew more faithfully to Stephen King's novel (which, if you've read the epistolary-style book, would mean a lot more pyrotechnics and overall destruction).
Who do you think would be a good choice for Carrie White? Moretz? Bennett? Someone else? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays