Bruce Willis and Kevin Smith play 'Cops'
Tracy Morgan also to star in the WB flick
A strange event has occurred in Hollywood: Kevin Smith is directing a movie, but it was written by someone other than himself.
The cinematic auteur of "Clerks," "Chasing Amy," "Dogma" and, most recently, "Zach and Miri Make a Porno," has previously gone on record that he considers himself a better screenwriter than director, but Warner Bros. thinks otherwise. Variety reports the studio has recruited him to direct Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan in the buddy flick "A Couple of Cops."
Originally titled "A Couple of Dicks" (now that's more in line with Smith's previous work), the trade describes the Robb and Marc Cullen screenplay as a comedy "centered on a pair of cops who track down a stolen baseball card, rescue a Mexican beauty and must deal with gangsters and laundered drug money." (Do you smell rewrite?)
Notably, this is not the first time Smith directed another writer's work. Two years ago he helmed the pilot for the CW's "The Reaper."
Willis will be seen next in the Sci-Fi thriller "The Surrogates" for Walt Disney Studios. Smith and Willis appeared on screen in the 2007 hit "Live Free or Die Hard."
Morgan, who found a home on the Emmy-winning "30 Rock," is also expected to star in the remake of "Death at a Funeral" for Screen Gems and Sidney Kimmel.
No word on when production of "Cops" is scheduled to begin.
[Editor's note: Smith deserves a shot at a big studio picture after the Weinstein Co. completely and utterly botched the release of "Zach and Miri," one of the best comedies of last year and clearly Smith's best flick so far.]
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts