Bruce Willis and Kevin Smith play 'Cops'
Tracy Morgan also to star in the WB flick
A strange event has occurred in Hollywood: Kevin Smith is directing a movie, but it was written by someone other than himself.
The cinematic auteur of "Clerks," "Chasing Amy," "Dogma" and, most recently, "Zach and Miri Make a Porno," has previously gone on record that he considers himself a better screenwriter than director, but Warner Bros. thinks otherwise. Variety reports the studio has recruited him to direct Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan in the buddy flick "A Couple of Cops."
Originally titled "A Couple of Dicks" (now that's more in line with Smith's previous work), the trade describes the Robb and Marc Cullen screenplay as a comedy "centered on a pair of cops who track down a stolen baseball card, rescue a Mexican beauty and must deal with gangsters and laundered drug money." (Do you smell rewrite?)
Notably, this is not the first time Smith directed another writer's work. Two years ago he helmed the pilot for the CW's "The Reaper."
Willis will be seen next in the Sci-Fi thriller "The Surrogates" for Walt Disney Studios. Smith and Willis appeared on screen in the 2007 hit "Live Free or Die Hard."
Morgan, who found a home on the Emmy-winning "30 Rock," is also expected to star in the remake of "Death at a Funeral" for Screen Gems and Sidney Kimmel.
No word on when production of "Cops" is scheduled to begin.
[Editor's note: Smith deserves a shot at a big studio picture after the Weinstein Co. completely and utterly botched the release of "Zach and Miri," one of the best comedies of last year and clearly Smith's best flick so far.]
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama