Bright Eyes cover White Stripes for 'Cool For School' charity compilation
Online-only album also features The Strokes' Albert Hammond Jr. doing Big Star
Bright Eyes, The Strokes' Albert Hammond Jr., Cobra Starship and others have donated cover versions of classic school-themed tunes to the online-only charity compilation "Cool For School: For the Benefit of The Lunchbox Fund."
The album, which will help provide meals to South African students, also features Fences (doing Nirvana's "School"), Craig Wedren and Pink Ape teaming for the Smiths' "headmasters Ritual," and Luke Rathbone delivering his cover of Redd Kross' "I Hate My School." The album will be available on all online music stores this month via Manimal Vinyl Records.
Omaha indie stalwarts Bright Eyes and Swedish duo First-Aid kit teamed for a playful electronic version of the White Stripes' incessantly catchy "We're Gonna Be Friends."
Hear it below:
Meanwhile, while most previous covers (including takes by Wilco, Magnapop and Garbage) have been lowkey, acoustic guitar-driven affairs mimicking the original, Alebrt Hammond Jr. turns Big Star's pretty, plaintive ballad "Thirteen" into an up-tempo power-pop gem.
Hear it below:
In other cover news, former White Stripe jack White is one of the many artists paying tribute to country pioneer Hank Williams on "The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams." The project, spearheaded by Bob Dylan, features performers such as Sheryl Crow, Merle Haggard and Norah Jones creating melodies and arrangements for a dozen of Williams' unrecorded songs.
White has also recently covered U2 and, um, Mozart with the help of Insane Clown Posse.
Hear his Hank Williams tune tune here.
Now, if we could only use a time machine to get Hank Williams to cover Bright Eyes, the circle would be complete...
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"