Breaking: Oscars go from 5 to 10 Best Picture Nominees
Best Animated Feature Film category survives
In a stunning movie no doubt meant to broaden the value of the best picture race, the 82nd Academy Awards announced today that they will increase the number of nominees for the top category to ten candidates from five.
At a press conference today, Sid Ganis said, “After more than six decades, the Academy is returning to some of its earlier roots, when a wider field competed for the top award of the year,” said Ganis. “The final outcome, of course, will be the same – one Best Picture winner – but the race to the finish line will feature 10, not just five, great movies from 2009.”
This is actually nothing new for the Academy Awards. For nine years, there were more than the expected five nominees. In 1931/32 there were eight nominees and in 1934 and 1935 there were 12 nominees. This ended in 1943 when "Casablanca" won the best picture Oscar.
There were some rumors that the Acadmey would do away with the Best Animated Feature Film category along with this move, but at this time it still exists.
Last year, many believed "The Dark Knight," the second highest grossing film in U.S. domestic box office history and a critical favorite, narrowly missed out of a best picture nomination. This move is intended to rectify such oversights.
The 82nd Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010. The Oscar ceremony will be presented on Sunday, March 7, 2010, live at 8:30 p.m., ET on the ABC Television Network. The ceremony will once again take place at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood.
Update: 26 films make the field for this year's Oscar race. Really.
News From Our Partners
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive