Breaking: Chris Evans confirmed as Marvel's 'Captain America'
Sources tell HitFix all other candidates told the gig is Johnny Storms
The long, drawn out process to determine who will carry the shield of America's greatest super-patriot is over. Sources have confirmed to HitFix that Chris Evans has been offered the role of the title hero in "The First Avenger: Captain America."
Other candidates for the part included Channing Tatum, Ryan Phillippe, John Krasinski and Mike Vogel. HitFix has learned the word about Evans' casting came down this afternoon to the other potential Cap's that the role was Evans. Some of the other new actors auditioning for the role had not even met with director Joe Johnston yet when the decision was made.
Evans is hardly a stranger to comic fans. He previously played hot-head Johnny Storm in 20th Century Fox's two "Fantastic Four" movies. Assuming Evans takes the role, he'll be committed to a number of future Marvel films including "Captain America" sequels, "The Avengers" and appearing in other Marvel Universe pictures.
The 28-year-old actor last appeared on screen in 2009's Sci-Fi thriller "Push." He'll star opposite Zoe Saldana in another comic book adaptation, "The Losers," next month. He'll follow that up with "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" which is based on a popular series of graphic novels.
On a humorous note, this may be the second blonde Marvel hero the brown-haired Evans has played, but did not dye his hair for. Fans were initially ruffled when Evans stayed dark-haired as Johnny Storm so will he pull out the peroxide for Steve Rogers? Stay tuned.
No word officially from Marvel Studios or distributor Paramount Pictures at this time.
News From Our Partners
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'