Box Office: 'Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Pt. 1' keeps pace with 'New Moon' with $72 million opening day
'Immortals' falls and it falls hard
Anyone thinking the "Twilight" franchise has run out of steam should thinking again after Friday's results at the box office. "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Pt. 1" debuted to $72 million including $30.3 million in midnight grosses ranking as the third largest single day opening of all time, with "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2's" staying at the top after pulling in $91 million in July. That puts "Breaking Dawn" just shy of "New Moon's" opening, a record at the time, of $72.7 million two years ago. Whether "Breaking Dawn, Pt. 1" can match "New Moon's" three-day take of $142 million remains to be seen. The current estimate for "Breaking Dawn" is a conservative $135 million. The last installment, "Eclipse," grossed a total of $300.5 million in the summer of 2010.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Taking a big fall in the third slot was Relativity's "Immortals." The 3-D period epic grossed only $3.8 million on Friday for what should be a $12-13 million three-day. With just $44.5 million in its first eight days, the Tarsem Singh fantasy isn't turning out to be the blockbuster Relativity was expecting it to be.
Adam Sandler's "Jack and Jill" also took a hit Friday with another $3.5 million and $32.5 million in a little over a week. This is one Sandler comedy that won't be able to overcome bad reviews and word of mouth to hit his typical $100 million gross.
Still purring with moviegoers in fifth was DreamWorks Animation's "Puss in Boots." The critically acclaimed adventure found another $3.4 million Friday for a stellar plus $115 million to date.
Look for final weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama