Box Office: 'True Grit' ends 2010 by finally hitting no. 1
Plus: 'The King's Speech' tops 'Black Swan' for the first time
Most of Hollywood is dismayed by the drop in holiday box office this season and the derth of underperformers including "How Do You Know," "Gulliver's Travels," "The Tourist" and "Yogi Bear." One studio that is doing cartwheels of joy, however, is Paramount. Not only is the Coen bros.' Western "True Grit" a hit, it's slowly turning into a blockbuster.
For the first time since both "Grit" and the comedy "Little Fockers" opened on Dec. 22, "Grit" claimed the top spot at the box office with an impressive $8.1 million on New Year's Eve. The potential Oscar contender has now hit $70.4 million in just 10 days and should easily past the $100 million mark next weekend. At that point, only "Inception" and "Toy Story 3" will have grossed more among expected best picture players. Oh, and did we mention "Grit" cost just a reported $35 million and hasn't even opened overseas yet?
As for "Fockers," it dropped to the second slot with $7.7 million and a new cume of $84.7 million. The critically maligned comedy should end up with between $130-140 million when all is said in done. Not bad, but nowhere near the success of franchise predecessors "Meet the Parents" or "Meet the Fockers."
Still hanging in there at no. 3 was "Tron Legacy" with another $5 million and $117 million to date. Walt Disney will have to hope it can continue to dominate IMAX screens until "The Green Hornet" takes them away on Jan. 14.
Fourth place went to "Yogi Bear" which seems to be the minor family film player this season with another $4 million and $57 million overall. Certainly not a disaster, but not the hit Warner's was hoping for.
Another family film option, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," came in fifth with $3.4 million and $80 million domestic to date. Luckily for financiers Walden Media and 20th Century Fox, the fantasy has grossed over $186 million internationally to help offset its $155 million budget.
Among other releases, "The King's Speech" out grossed "Black Swan" for the first time as "Swan's" younger audience no doubt headed out to celebrate the new year. "Speech" found $2.5 million in just 700 theaters for a new gross of $17.6 million. "Swan," and still a sensation mind you, found $1.93 million in 1,550 theaters for a very impressive $40 million so far.
Look for continuing box office reports tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend