Box Office: 'Toy Story 3' refuses to give up No. 1 to 'Grown Ups'
'Knight and Day' continues to disappoint
Adam Sandler may have the most reliable summer box office track record in history, but even with his friends Chris Rock, Kevin James and David Spade around, he can't overcome the power of "Toy Story 3."
The critically acclaimed 3-D powerhouse pulled in another $18 million for a new total of $185 million. The Pixar/Walt Disney family flick should make between $55-60 million for the weekend crossing the $200 million mark sometime on Saturday. Whether "Toy Story 3" can stay in the top slot when "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" opens this Wednesday remains to be seen.
In second place, Sandler's old school buddy comedy "Grown Ups" had nothing to cry about debuting to $14 million on Friday and should gross $38-40 million for the 3-Day. That would equal the stars for his $100 million plus hits "You Don't Mess With the Zohan" and "Click."
Third pace found Tom Cruise's "Knight and Day" having an OK jump to $6.3 million after making approximately $7.2 million in its first two days in release. For the weekend, "Day" could hit between $18-22 million. Whether that's a solid enough start to make up the picture's $140 million budget remains to be seen. Especially with more "Eclipse" and "Last Airbender" competition on the way.
"The Karate Kid" keeps kicking in fourth with another $4.8 million and a new total of $125 million. "The A-Team" was far behind in the fifth slot with $1.9 million and a 15-day gross of $$58.7 million.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away