Box Office: 'Toy Story 3' is Pixar's biggest opening ever with $109 million
'Karate Kid' passes the $100 million mark in just 10 days
Tom Hanks has saved the day for Hollywood again. Well, sort of. Hanks, better known to many as Woody from the "Toy Story" franchise, returned along with Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear and the rest of the cast of memorable voices for the long awaited "Toy Story 3." After a $109 million weekend, Walt Disney Studios and Pixar are very glad they did.
Granted, the critically acclaimed third installment in the "Toy Story" series had the benefit of inflated 3-D ticket prices and a large number of IMAX screens, but it still blew past Pixar's previous record holder, "The Incredibles." That classic found $70.4 million almost six years ago. Based on word of mouth "Toy Story 3" has an excellent chance of becoming the highest grossing film of the year.
In second place with another solid $29 million was Sony Pictures' "The Karate Kid." The remake of the 1984 classic has reached a whole new audience and has grossed an astounding $106.3 million in just 10 days. Is $200 million out of the question? Maybe, but it might come very, very close.
The weekend's other debut was the much maligned "Jonah Hex." The DC Comics hero couldn't shoot very straight on the big screen finding only a tepid $5.1 million. Eek.
Final box office results will be released Monday.
News From Our Partners
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly