Box Office: 'Toy Story 3' blows away 'Knight and Day's opening day
Wednesday opening strategy didn't help Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz action thriller
After months of TV spots, odd marketing moves and date changes, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz couldn't stand up to the return of Woody and Buzz Lightyear.
"Knight and Day" received fine notices among mostly mediocre reviews, but debuted on Wednesday with just a measly $3.8 million. In comparison, "Toy Story 3" pulled in another $13.4 million in just its sixth day in theaters for a staggering new total of $154.4 million. Things won't get any easier for "Day" as it takes on another potential blockbuster, Adam Sandler and Kevin James' "Grown Ups," which could hit $50 million over the upcoming weekend.
The 20th Century Fox release moved to Wednesday in order to avoid clashing with "Grown Ups" directly, but probably would have been better served opening in Nov. or Dec. instead. Now, the pricey thriller is looking at just a $22-25 million five day gross at best. With a rumored $140 million plus budget, Cruise and Fox will have to hope the thriller plays much stronger overseas to recoup its costs.
Still strong in the third slot was "Karate Kid" with another $2.97 million and a mammoth $117 million to date.
Look for continuing box office reports on HitFix throughout the weekend.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?