Box Office: 'Thor' can't beat 'Fast Five' in Thursday midnights
Marvel hero finds $3.3 million from early showings
Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures had something to smile about this morning once grosses from "Thor" started to roll in. The latest comic book hero adaptation grossed $3.3 million from 1,800 theaters screening the potential blockbuster at midnight. Obviously, nowhere near a record, it's a strong debut for the Kenneth Branagh action flick. Based on pre-release polling and surprisingly strong reviews, "Thor" is expected to take in anywhere between $75-80 million over the three day weekend.
"Thor's" midnights were good, but they still fell short of "Fast Five's" just a week ago. "Fast Five" found $3.7 million in less theaters (1,100) and with lower ticket prices ("Thor" is in 3-D and IMAX while "Five" is just in IMAX). The latest installment of the Vin Diesel and Paul Walker franchise found a potent $86.1 million last weekend and has grossed over $103 million through Wednesday. Its expected to fall to the no. 2 slot this weekend after "Thor."
Also debuting today is the romantic comedy "Something Borrowed" and "Jumping the Broom." The latter is expected to have better luck with moviegoers than the former. Jodie Foster's "The Beaver" opens in limited release in 22 theaters.
Look for continuing box office updates all weekend on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn