Box Office: 'The Vow' and 'Safe House' romancing the top spot after a shockingly potent Friday
'Journey 2' and the 3D re-release of 'Star Wars: Episode 1' surpass expectations
Hollywood knew this weekend had a chance at providing strong returns at the box office, but no one predicted that four films would gross over $20 million each. If projections stay on target, that's exactly what will occur. "The Vow," "Safe House," "Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace in 3D" and "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" are all set for superb debuts all thanks to different audiences.
Topping Friday's box office was "The Vow" starring Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams. The romance has long been projected as a Valentine's Day hit and didn't disappoint with $15.3 million on its first day. The "based on a true story" scenario of a woman who forgets five years of her life and the man she fell in love with hit a nerve with women of all ages and the Screen Gems release is now looking at $38-40 million for the weekend.
Also surpassing its pre-release projections is 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm's re-release of "Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace in 3D." It's been over 10 years since the film first hit theaters and a whole generation of kids have never gotten to see it on the big screen. "Star Wars" also still has a passionate fan base who appear to have shown up to support the re-release. With $8.6 million on Friday and strong matinees expected on Saturday, "Phantom Menace in 3D" could easily hit $22-23 million, conservatively, by EOD Sunday.
Another surprise is the left for dead Dwanye "The Rock" Johnson and Josh Hutcherson family flick "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island." A pseudo sequel to the 2008 hit "Journey to the Center of the Earth," "Journey 2" grossed $6.5 million on Friday but is expected to be an even bigger kid player on Saturday. Many expect the Warner Bros. and New Line release to find between $21-23 million over the weekend.
Dropping to fifth place was last weekend's box office champ "Chronicle." The 20th Century Fox found footage adventure grossed another $3.5 million on Friday for an impressive $31.3 million in just eight days. It should easily cross the $35 million mark by Sunday, but anything significantly over $55 million, when all is said and done, is slipping out of reach.
Look for complete box office estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
12 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite