Box Office: 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' takes down 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen's' Wednesday record
Third 'Twilight' flick can't beat 'New Moon's' single day
One box office record has fallen, but another remains. "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" took off for a massive $68.5 million start on Wednesday. That figure breaks the previous Wednesday record-holder, last year's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen which made $62 million, but falls short of "The Twilight Saga: New Moon's" single day record of $72 million set this past November. It did however, also break the single-day summer record set by "The Dark Knight" in 2008 ($67.2 million).
"Eclipse" will next try to break the 3, 4, 5 and 6-day records set by "The Dark Knight" for total box office on its amazing run. The vampire sequel's best chance is with the $203.7 million 5-day tally "Transformers 2" came within $3 million of reaching. The 6-day mark is $222.1 million, but didn't include the July 4th holiday which usually finds moviegoers skipping the theater for BBQ's and fireworks displays.
News From Our Partners
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'