Box Office: 'The Karate Kid' the new champ as it hits no. 1 Friday
'A-Team' does A-OK with $9.5 million
So much for box office's June gloom. The summer has its first breakout hit, as predicted by this pundit a few weeks ago, with the remake of "The Karate Kid."
Produced by Will Smith and starring his son Jaden and Jackie Chan, the remake of the 1984 classic pulled in an astonishing $18.8 million on Friday for what could be a $52-60 million weekend. What's more impressive is that with a budget of $40 million, the "Kid" is looking like a major profit center for Sony Pictures even before International revenue comes in to play. The bigger question is how strong it can continue to play with the mega-"Toy Story 3" opening next Friday or whether "Toy" will take an immediate hit from the "Kid" buzz.
Second place went to 20th Century Fox's "The A-Team" which did less than anticipated with just $9.5 million on Friday and a projected 3-day total of $28-30 million. That's a tad under industry polling which expected a $30-35 million debut. Reviews were harsher than many believed, could that have caused a dent in "A-Team's" grosses? Or, did "Karate Kid" skew broader than Fox had anticipated? Needless to say, "A-Team" may not be the new franchise Fox was hoping for.
Still trucking along in third was "Shrek Forever After" with $4.5 million. "Get Him to the Greek" followed with $3.2 million and "Killers" was fifth with $2.6 million.
Look for updated weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first