Box Office: 'The Help' pushes 'Conan' and 'Spy Kids 4' aside to stay at no. 1
New releases disappoint
There were four major debuts this weekend, but it was status quo at the box office Friday as "The Help" and "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" battled it out for the top spot.
As it has been much of the week, "The Help" was number one with a strong $5.8 million. Even with some critics coming out against the period picture as racially offensive, the Dreamworks drama has pulled in an impressive $57.1 million in just eight days. Crossing the $100 million mark is a given at this point.
Dropping to second place was last weekend's champ, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." The Rupert Wyatt prequel found another $4.65 million for $122 million to date. And for those playing at home, yes, "Apes" qualifies for one of the big surprise hits of the summer.
Fourth place went to "Conan the Barbarian" with just $3.7 million. Featuring Jason Momoa as the classic Robert E. Howard hero, the Lionsgate and Millennium Films reboot may only hit $10-12 million for the weekend. That's a huge disappointment considering the franchise potential and higher 3D ticket prices associated with the film.
Possibly more disheartening was the performance of DreamWorks' "Fright Night." The reboot of the cult 1985 horror comedy grossed just $2.65 million and will likely finish no better than $8 million for the weekend. Ironically, the Colin Farrell and Anton Yelchin picture was the best reviewed of all this weekend's new releases. Disney handles marketing for DreamWorks titles now, and it's clear the current team is having big problems opening male skewing titles.
Debuting solidly in just 1,719 theaters was the Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess romance "One Day" with $1.9 million.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H