Box Office: 'The Dictator' can't overthrow 'The Avengers' on Wednesday
Sacha Baron Cohen comedy earns just $4.1 million
Sacha Baron Cohen has spent the last few weeks appearing all over the country as Admiral General Aladeen in hopes of enticing moviegoers to see his latest comedy, "The Dictator." So far, it hasn't worked.
The Larry Charles-directed comedy originally was supposed to open last Friday, but Paramount decided to move it to the Wednesday after in hopes of avoiding a clash with Johnny Depp's "Dark Shadows." Instead, both pictures seem to be suffering under the onslaught of "The Avengers." "The Dictator" opened on Wednesday to just $4.1 million. The film has been polling for a $35 million five-day gross, but with a C Cinemascore grade and mixed reviews it may struggle to get past $20 million.
Meanwhile, Joss Whedon's blockbuster keeps rolling right along. "The Avengers" found another $6.3 million on Wednesday for $395 to date. The picture should cross the $400 million mark domestically sometime on Friday. It's currently the 13th biggest release of all time and should jump to No. 10 or even No. 9 by Sunday.
"Dark Shadows" keeps trying to wake the dead, er, moviegoers with another $1.8 million and $36.4 million in just 6 days. With upcoming releases "Battleship" and "Men in Black 3" polling under expectations, Warner Bros. is hoping "Shadows" can find some light throughout the rest of the month.
Look for continuing box office updates this weekend on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single