Box Office: 'The Avengers' sinks both 'Battleship' and 'The Dictator' Friday
Three new releases can't meet industry expectations
"The Avenger" passed the $400 million mark on Thursday and even with two new releases entering the market on Friday, the Marvel Studios blockbuster hasn't missed a beat.
Joss Whedon's pop culture phenomenon found another $15.3 million on its 15th day for an amazing $417.3 million so far. This means "The Avengers" has crossed into the top 10 of all-time domestic grossers passing "Toy Story 3" which found $415 million two years ago. By Sunday, the picture could pass "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" which grossed $435.1 million for no.7 all time. And, as the days go by, it's clear the film will surpass "The Dark Knight's" $533 million take in the third slot. Can it pass "Titanic's" $658.4 million at no. 2? The Memorial Day Weekend coming up may shed some light on how long its box office fire will burn.
Opening under expectations at no. 2 was "Battleship" with $9 million. The Peter Berg action flick could do $24-28 million this weekend depending on word of mouth. The picture, which has already opened around the globe, only recorded a B Cinemascore grade which isn't a good sign for its long term prospects. The film's budget has been reported at over $220 million, but internationally its only made $215 million. After a fantastic year of strong hits like "Safe House," "The Lorax," "Contraband" and "American Reunion" (a shocking $200 million worldwide), this is an even worse stumble for Universal than the shocking performance of "The Five-Year Engagement" last month. The studio will have to hope they get back on track with "Snow White and the Huntsman" next month.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
An example of counter programming gone wrong, Lionsgate's "What To Expect When Your Expecting" grossed only $3.8 million for what should be a $11-13 million three-day cume. Somehow, the collective ensemble star power of Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Chace Crawford, Chris Rock, Dennis Quaid and Matthew Morrison wasn't enough to entice fans of the New York Times Bestseller that it was based upon to theaters. After December's disastrous bomb "New Year's Eve," this is the second major stunt-ensemble romantic comedy that has failed to resonate with moviegoers.
"Dark Shadows" fell to fifth with just $3.8 million and 41.9 million in just 8 days. The comedy should surpass Tim Burton's "Big Fish" which made $66 million in 2003, but won't come anywhere near the blockbuster hits of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" or "Alice in Wonderland." Again, another summer release with a big budget that is now hoping foreign moviegoers can pick up the slack so it can at least break even.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll