Box Office: 'The American' out duels 'Machete' for no. 1 Friday
'Going The Distance' doesn't get very far
Who says George Clooney can't open a movie? The Oscar winner has been criticized for not living up to the box office potential of some of his peers (unless they are joining him of course), but after a successful run with "Up in the Air," he's given Focus Features a Labor Day weekend gift with "The American."
Even with mixed reviews, "The American" found $3.9 million on Friday for what should be anywhere from $14-16 million over the 4-day frame. That's not blockbuster, but considering how little press Clooney did for the picture, they'll take it.
In second place was the Robert Rodriguez low-budget thriller "Machete" with $3.8 million. A spin-off from a fake "Grindhouse" trailer, the low budgeted thriller could find anywhere from $14-16 million over the holiday weekend. That's a tad under expectations, but well within range of profitability.
The third slot went to "Takers" which had a hard fall to just $3 million Friday for what could also be a $10-13 million 4-day frame. As of Friday, the ensemble gangster flick had around $30 million in the bank.
"The Last Exorcism" and "Going the Distance" were battling it out for the fourth and fifth slots with $2.3 million and $2.2 million respectively. That's a horrifying drop for the Lionsgate thriller and a big disappointment for Warner Bros. which moved the rom com back a week from its original release date for a better opportunity in the marketplace.
Look for continuing box office updates as the holiday weekend progresses on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)