Box Office: Summer kicks off early as 'Fast Five' fuels $33 million Friday
Franchise sequel headed for year's biggest opening, while 'Prom' opens soft
After a disappointing first four months of 2011, the box office has finally shifted into fifth gear. The highly anticipated "Fast Five" had a mammoth opening Friday grossing $33.2 million. The fifth installment of the "Fast and Furious" franchise is looking at a series record $78-80 million weekend. That would be the biggest debut of the year and break "Fast and Furious'" $71 million mark just two years ago. Considering the huge numbers "Fast Five" has already posted overseas, it's no surprise a sixth "Furious" film is already in the works.
The weekend's other new releases were not so lucky. "Prom," the first film greenlit by Disney chairman Rich Ross found only $1.9 million on Friday and will be lucky to find $7 million by Sunday. The teen flick, which was intended to kick off a "High School Musical"-esque franchise, only cost $8 million, but sources tell HitFix the marketing budget was $32 million which will likely end any talk of a second installment.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Tyler Perry's "Madea's Big Happy Family" came in third, nabbing $3.1 million, bringing its gross to $26 million.
Fox 2000's "Water For Elephants," starring Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon, picked up $2.9 million, for a cume of $26 million.
Look for final box office estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When