Box Office Stunner: 'Puss in Boots' has amazing hold to win weekend
'Tower Heist' steals $25 million
DreamWorks Animation stockholders should breathe a sigh of relief. It looks like last weekend's subpar results for "Puss in Boots" really was about the snowstorm that shutdown the Northeast. After debuting to $34 million in the no. 1 slot last weekend, "Puss" grossed an incredible $33 million in its second weekend. That will likely be off a smudge when actual grosses are tabulated on Monday, but it's a stunning 3% drop as audiences finally caught up to the positively reviewed "Shrek" spinoff. After 10 days, "Puss" has now grossed a very good $75 million. The animated adventure has one more weekend of free sailing before strong family competition arrives with "Happy Feet Two" on Nov. 18.
Debuting in the second slot was the Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy heist film "Tower Heist" with $25.1 million. That's substantially under the $30 million plus pre-polling had indicated and Universal Pictures was hoping for. Mediocre reviews didn't help, but it's likely audiences began to realize the picture was more heist movie and less comedy. When you put Murphy and Stiller together, moviegoers want big laughs. Word quickly spread that's not what "Heist" delivers.
"Paranormal Activity 3" dropped to fourth with another $8.5 million for the three-day and $95.3 million to date. The horror blockbuster should cross the $100 million mark sometime next weekend.
Fifth place went to "in Time" which grossed another $7.7 million for $24.2 million in 10 days.
Next weekends new releases include "Immortals" and "Jack and Jill."
Final box office results are released on Monday.
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels